How Do I Get Started?
The phone number listed in the contact us section of this website is our direct line for making an appointment. Your phone call will be answered by an experienced therapist who is knowledgeable about the services we provide as well as other services and supports in our area. When you call she will ask questions in order to understand your needs, offer a 20-minute consult with Dr. Otto to further clarify your needs, discuss fees and possible insurance benefits, or refer you to other professionals, if appropriate. If it is determined that an evaluation or counseling will meet your child’s needs, an intake session will be scheduled and you will receive intake forms directly by email.
What Can I Expect in an Evaluation?
Parents will attend the intake interview without their child. This meeting will take approximately 1-2 hours. Testing will occur over 1-2 sessions of 3-6 hours each, depending on the focus of the evaluation. A final feedback session will provide a thorough discussion of the results and parents will be provided with a comprehensive report with results, interpretation, and recommendations.
What Should I Bring With Me To The First Session?
Please bring the following additional documents to the intake session:
- All intake paperwork
- Current report cards or work samples
- Individualized Education Plans, Section 504 Plans, or accommodation plans
- Evaluations conducted by school or other private professionals
- Medical records or reports that are related to the presenting concern
How Can I Prepare My Child For The Evaluation?
- As with any office, the temperature can vary. Consider bringing a jacket or sweater to ensure your child’s comfort.
- Make sure your child gets a good night of sleep and eats a filling breakfast
- If your child wears eye glasses, make sure he/she has them
- If your child takes medication on a regular basis, please take as prescribed.
- Please reassure you child that there will be no ‘shots’ like at their pediatrician’s office
- Most children find many parts of the assessment fun or at least interesting. At worst, they find some parts boring!
- Feel free to bring a snack for your child as breaks will be taken throughout the assessment process.
What to expect during Counseling?
The intake session will last one hour. The purpose of the intake session is to meet the therapist, discuss details about the problem that brings you or your child to therapy, and establish initial goals for working together in counseling. It is often appropriate for parents to attend this session without their child so that open and frank information can be shared and discussed.
Your therapist will make a recommendation for frequency of counseling session. However, most of the time you can expect to meet with your counselor once per week for a 50 minute counseling session.
In addition to traditional “talking” therapy, counseling with children will often include playing games, engaging in arts and crafts, or using imaginary play activities and role-play.
Please be aware that there is no supervised area in our waiting room for children or siblings.